Millions of people have at least one mole on their body that they don’t like and want to get rid of. Fortunately there are a lot of different mole-removal options that people can use in the comfort of their own home. These reduce the need to have surgical removal, are affordable and are listed in this article!
Which Moles Can be Removed at Home?
While natural mole removal at home can be safe and 95% of skin moles are benign, it’s still recommended to have your skin lesion checked. All cancerous moles have to be taken to a doctor immediately so that they can perform removal in the safest and most effective way that is possible. If you’re not sure how to identify a cancerous mole, then look for the signs below:
- Color – If the color of your blemish isn’t consistent or has changed, then go and see your doctor. Even if it’s slightly discolored on only one small area, it’s best to get it checked out by a dermatologist.
- Symmetry – An asymmetrical mole is one that you want to have. So, if you can draw a line down your mole and both sides don’t mirror each other, then you may have a cancerous growth.
- Border – The border around your mole should be smooth and defined. If yours has notches or is not a round shape, then it needs to be checked out.
- Evolution – If your mole has changed in appearance over time (i.e. color, height, texture, shape, etc.), then you need to get it tested.
- Diameter – If your mole is larger than the size of a pencil eraser.
If you display even one of these signs of skin cancer in moles on your body, then you should go and visit your dermatologist right away. It’s better to be safe than to risk having a cancerous mole that develops into serious skin cancer. Skin cancer can be fatal, especially if it’s caught in the later stages. If you catch a mole during the early stages of cancer then the survival risk increases dramatically.
The Most Popular Home Remedies
There are a lot of home remedies for moles that you can choose from, but there are a few that are more popular because they tend to be the most effective. How to remove moles at home? The most popular remedies are listed below so you can pick and choose which will work best for you.
Remedy #1. Castor Oil and Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. castor oil
- Step 1 – Mix the baking soda with the castor oil until you get a mixture that has the consistency of a paste.
- Step 2 – Take a small amount of paste and apply it to your mole only (avoid the rest of the skin).
- Step 3 – Put a bandage over the mole with paste to make sure it doesn’t get dried out or rubbed off.
- Step 4 – Repeat each night until the mole has started disappear. Removal process may take several weeks.
Remedy #2. Apple Cider Vinegar Mole Removal
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cotton ball
- Step 1 – Clean your skin so that there is no dirt or oil left behind on the mole.
- Step 2 – Pull a section off of your cotton ball so that it’s in quarters (or cut it). Soak your cotton ball in the apple cider vinegar and add more if you feel necessary.
- Step 3 – Place the soaked cotton over your skin lesion and then apply a bandage over that so that it’s held against the skin.
- Step 4 – Replace the cotton a few times per day and continue doing so until the mole has disappeared. This may take weeks, so make sure you are consistent.
Remedy #3. Tea Tree Oil
- 1 tsp. tea tree oil
- 1 cotton swab
- Step 1 – Dip your cotton swab into the tea tree oil until it’s soaked. Then, swab the mole you want to remove with the cotton until it’s covered with the tea tree oil. Avoid rubbing the oil on the rest of your skin, as this may cause irritation.
- Step 2 – Repeat this process three times per day until the mole has started to disappear. Removal generally takes several weeks, so consistency is very important.
Remedy #4. Garlic
- 1 garlic clove
- Step 1 – Peel the garlic and then cut a small section out of it so that it can cover your mole. Then flatten out the garlic so that the juice comes out.
- Step 2 – Put Vaseline around the mole so that the skin around it is protected from the garlic. Avoid putting it onto the actual mole.
- Step 3 – Gently scratch your mole before you put the garlic directly on it. Then, use a bandage to keep the garlic in place.
- Step 4 – Leave the garlic in place with 15 minutes before removing it and washing the area gently. Repeat this for around a week until you see that the blemish is removed!
Words of Caution
As you can see, figuring out how to remove moles at home isn’t difficult. The one thing you have to keep in mind is that these remedies take a lot longer than surgical removal options. So, if results are taking a while, then wait it out. If after several weeks you see no change, then switch to a different removal method (there are creams such as Dermatend as well as surgical options out there). Everyone is different with what is effective for them.
Do not forget to visit your doctor before attempting home remedies for mole removal on your own. Removing a cancerous mole is extremely dangerous and can lead to further health problems. Testing for cancerous moles is quick and well worth it for each and every person. Do not remove a mole that might be cancerous. It doesn’t take long to visit a dermatologist and they can run all the tests necessary with results in a couple of weeks. After you determine the mole is benign, then you can go about removing it at home without any worries!